At the Social Science and Humanities (SSH) Student Society, we seek to serve students in the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities. From organizing social activities, to community outreach and professional development events, our team works to enhance the campus experience of students at the downtown Oshawa location.
Starting off the school year, we are proud to announce (Dis)Orientation Week, taking place from Monday, September 11 to Thursday, September 14, 2017 at the university’s downtown location. This is the first (Dis)Orientation Week led at our university! The concept is meant to promote consciousness-raising and discussion around recent events, while also building capacity and a sense of community.
If you interested in learning more about (Dis)Orientation Week, you can find a full list of events and more details on our website. We are proud to host some really exciting events, including:
- A student/faculty mixer brunch: Drop by the 61 Charles lounge on Wednesday, September 13 and introduce yourself to your professors and fellow students!
- Downtown Goes Green: Play a part in greening the downtown location by painting a pot and planting a seed!
- A free training on how to identify and respond to an opioid overdose.
- A free film screening of the Oscar-nominated and groundbreaking documentary ‘13th’.
- Our panel discussion, Livable Wages: Separating Myth from Reality.
- SHADE: A comedy show featuring comedians of colour, comedians from the LGBTQ community, and comedians who identify as women.
We hope to see you there! Stay connected to us throughout the week by tweeting us using the hashtag #SSHSSDisOrientation and signing up for our events on our Eventbrite page. We hope you will join us as we start important conversations, build a stronger community and get to know one another. Come and be a part of the change!
Please note that our events are open to all students and the broader community.If you have questions or media inquiries, feel free to direct them to [email protected] and someone from our team will be happy to chat!